Thursday, May 10, 2012

Don't forget the Small and Simple Things

I love and have great respect for Elder Russell M. Ballard. I met him while serving my mission in Texas in 1990. Ever since then I have benefited from his wise counsel in General Conference addresses. This is one of my favorites, and provides the theme for my blog. Coincidentally, he gave this address in April 1990, about the time I met him for the first time. It puts in perspective how small and apparently simple events have the largest impact on our lives.

Quote: "Great and marvelous events seem to motivate us, but small things often do not hold our attention. Noting that the Liahona worked by faith, Alma stated, “Nevertheless, because those miracles were worked by small means … [the people of Lehi] were slothful, and forgot to exercise their faith and diligence and then those marvelous works ceased, and they did not progress in their journey.” (Alma 37:41.)"
"Is our journey sometimes impeded when we forget the importance of small things? (See Alma 37:46.) Do we realize that small events and choices determine the direction of our lives just as small helms determine the direction of great ships?" (See James 3:4; D&C 123:16.)
"Alma, teaching his son Helaman about the importance of the record written on the plates of brass, said: “Behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise".
“And the Lord God doth work by means to bring about his great and eternal purposes; and by very small means the Lord doth confound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls.” (Alma 37:6–7.)
"The Lord has graciously provided the means for conversion even in the most simple and humble of circumstances. Unfortunately, some of us look beyond the mark and depend too much on buildings, budgets, programs, and activities for conversion rather than on the small and simple things that are central to the gospel. We need not look beyond our own hearts to experience the sweet spiritual feelings promised to those who obey God. That is why a new member in the most humble conditions can experience the gospel as deeply as a lifetime member who was raised in the shadow of Church headquarters".

In my own life I have found that the small things make all the difference to me. Little niceties from my wife and children make a massive difference in my motivation and capacity to grasp the important things. Observing the small and simple daily routines bring balance to my life and help me achieve bigger goals.

I look back and recognize that the biggest life-changing event in my life (my joining the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) all started with one sentence uttered by bother Stephen back in 1988, when I asked him why he had become a 'mormon zealot'. He only said a few words: "Mark, I know that this church is true". That one sentence worked on my conscience, and  allowed the Spirit to enter my life and begin my own search for truth.

I met my wife for the first time in the Missionary Training Center in Provo when she dropped her tray in the cafeteria in front of three hundred people, and I decided to walk over and help her pick up the mess. Those few minutes where we connected led to letter-writing, courtship, marriage, five wonderful children, and a friendship that blesses my life to this day.

As I strive daily (often unsuccessfully!!) to listen to the "still small voice" of the Spirit of The Lord in my life, it results in the most massive blessings and life-changing growth opportunities.

So look out for those little things in your day tomorrow that will make a massive impact in your life and others. Smiling and saying hello. Walking over to talk with someone and ask them how they are doing. Opening up the scriptures and reading something powerful. And when you take stock at the end of the week, you will see how many 'small' things have caused 'great' things to happen in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment